花13.png

張老師英語教室 英文基礎、會話、寫作、多益雅思教學  TEL 0905-564-025

013、A Touching Story From a Taxi Driver 一位計程車司機講述的感人故事

 

This amazing story was originally posted on Facebook.

這個令人驚奇的故事最初發佈在臉書上。

It is a touching lesson on being patient.

它是個有關於耐心的故事。

You HAVE to read it.

你務必要閱讀這個故事。

It'll change how you think.

它將會改變你的想法。

A NYC Taxi driver wrote:

一位紐約計程車司機這樣寫著:

I arrived at the address and honked the horn.

我到達了地址,並按了喇叭。

After waiting a few minutes I honked again.

等了幾分鐘後,我再次按鳴了喇叭。

Since this was going to be my last ride of my shift, I thought about just driving away, but instead, I put the car in park and walked up to the door and knocked.

由於這將是我交班前的最後一趟載客,所以我本來想開車離開,但我沒有這樣做,我把車停泊好,走上前到了門口,敲了一下門。

“Just a minute,” answered a frail, elderly voice.

「請等一下。」一位虛弱老人的聲音回答道。

I could hear something being dragged across the floor.

我可以聽到某件東西在地板上拖著走。

After a long pause, the door opened.

經過一段長時間的停頓後,門開了。

A small woman in her 90's stood before me.

一位90多歲的小個子老婦人站在我面前。

She was wearing a print dress and a pillbox hat with a veil pinned on it, like somebody out of a 1940's movie.

她穿著一件印花洋裝,戴著一頂附有面紗的平頂無邊帽,就像40年代電影中的人一樣。

By her side was a small nylon suitcase.

她身邊有一個小尼龍手提箱。

The apartment looked as if no one had lived in it for years.

這間公寓看起來好像很多年沒人住了。

All the furniture was covered with sheets.

所有家俱都鋪上了布罩。

There were no clocks on the walls, no knickknacks or utensils on the counters.

牆上沒有掛著時鐘,櫃檯上也沒有小擺設或餐具。

In the corner was a cardboard box filled with photos and glassware.

角落處有一個紙箱,裡面裝滿了照片和玻璃器皿。

“Would you carry my bag out to the car?” she said.

「你可以把我的行李箱放到車上嗎?」她說。

I took the suitcase to the cab, and then returned to assist the woman.

我把行李箱拿到了計程車上,然後回來協助這個老婦人。

She took my arm, and we walked slowly toward the curb.

她拉著我的胳膊,我們慢慢走向人行道邊。

She kept thanking me for my kindness.

她不停地感謝我的善意。

“It's nothing,” I told her. “I just try to treat my passengers the way I would want my mother to be treated.”

「這沒什麼,」我告訴她。「我只是試著對待我的乘客就像我希望我母親被這樣的對待。」

“Oh, you're such a good boy,” she said.

「哦,你真是個好孩子。」她說道。

When we got in the cab, she gave me an address and then asked, “Could you drive through downtown?”

當我們上了計程車後,她給了我一個地址然後問道,「你能開車穿過市中心嗎?」

“It's not the shortest way,” I answered quickly..

「這樣走並不是最短的路程。」我迅速回答道。

“Oh, I don't mind,” she said. “I'm in no hurry. I'm on my way to a hospice.”

「哦,我不介意。」她說。「我並不急。我正在去臨終關懷安養院。」

I looked in the rear-view mirror.

我從後視鏡看過去。

Her eyes were glistening.

她的眼睛裡閃著晶瑩淚花。

“I don't have any family left,” she continued in a soft voice. “The doctor says I don't have very long.”

「我沒有任何家人留下了,」她聲音溫柔地繼續說道。「醫生說我沒有很長時間了。」

I quietly reached over and shut off the meter.

我悄悄地伸手去把里程錶關掉。

“What route would you like me to take?” I asked.

「妳想要讓我載妳走哪條路?」我問道。

For the next two hours, we drove through the city.

在接下來的兩個小時裡,我們開車走過了城市各地。

She showed me the building where she had once worked as an elevator operator.

她指給我看一幢建築物,她曾經在那裡工作,當電梯操作員。

We drove through the neighborhood where she and her husband had lived when they were newlyweds

我們開車經過她和她丈夫在新婚時居住的地方。

She had me pull up in front of a furniture warehouse that had once been a ballroom where she had gone dancing as a girl.

她叫我在一個曾經是舞廳的家俱倉庫前停下車來,她還是個小女孩時,曾在那裡跳舞。

Sometimes she'd ask me to slow in front of a particular building or corner and would sit staring into the darkness, saying nothing.

有時,她會請求我在一幢特別的建築物前或一處街角放慢速度,然後坐著瞪著黑暗處,什麼話都不說。

As the first hint of sun was creasing the horizon, she suddenly said, “I'm tired.Let's go now.”

當第一道陽光從地平線穿出時,她突然說道:「我累了,現在就走吧。」

We drove in silence to the address she had given me.

我們默默地開著車,來到她給我的地址。

It was a low building, like a small convalescent home, with a driveway that passed under a portico.

這是一幢矮樓,像一個小型療養院,有一條車道,穿過了門廊。

Two orderlies came out to the cab as soon as we pulled up.

我們車子停下來時,有兩個看護走到車旁。

They were solicitous and intent, watching her every move.

他們很殷勤專注地看著她的一舉一動。

They must have been expecting her.

他們一定一直在等著來接她了。

I opened the trunk and took the small suitcase to the door.

我打開行李箱,把小行李箱拿到門口。

The woman was already seated in a wheelchair.

那老婦人已經坐在輪椅上了。

“How much do I owe you?” She asked, reaching into her purse.

「我該給你多少錢呢?」她問道,同時把手伸進她的錢包裡。

“Nothing,” I said

「不用給了。」我說道。

“You have to make a living,” she answered.

「你必須討生活呀。」她回答道。

“There are other passengers,” I responded.

「還有其他乘客要載呀。」我回答道。

Almost without thinking, I bent and gave her a hug.

我不加思索,彎下腰給了她一個擁抱。

She held onto me tightly.

她緊緊抓著我。

“You gave an old woman a little moment of joy,” she said. “Thank you.”

「你給了一位老太太一陣短暫的喜悅。」她說。「謝謝你。」

I squeezed her hand, and then walked into the dim morning light.

我擠了她的手,然後走進暗淡的晨光中。

Behind me, a door shut.

在我身後,一扇門關上了。

It was the sound of the closing of a life.

這是一個生命關閉的聲音。

I didn't pick up any more passengers that shift.

那次的輪班,我沒有再搭載任何乘客。

I drove aimlessly, lost in thought.

我漫不經心地開車,陷入思緒中。

For the rest of that day, I could hardly talk.

那天剩下的時間,我幾乎沒有說話。

What if that woman had gotten an angry driver, or one who was impatient to end his shift?

如果那個老婦人碰到了一個發怒的司機,或者一個急著交班的司機,她該怎麼辦?

What if I had refused to take the run, or had honked once, then driven away?

如果我拒絕跑這一趟路,或者只按一次喇叭,然後就趨車離開,她該怎麼辦?

On a quick review, I don't think that I have done anything more important in my life.

快速回想了一下,我認為在我一生中,我並沒有做過任何比較重要的事情。

We're conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments.

我們往往認為我們的生活被偉大的時刻所圍繞著。

But great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

但是偉大的時刻往往不知不覺地、華麗地降臨到我們身上,被包裹在別人可能認為是一件小事裡面。

下一篇    014、The Empty Gift Box 空禮盒

上一篇    012、Kindness Pays 善心的報酬

 

arrow
arrow
    文章標籤
    中英對照好文章
    全站熱搜

    張老師 發表在 痞客邦 留言(0) 人氣()